The Introvert Artist

Where do I start? Being an introvert and a performing artist is a weird sort of mixture. While I love performing, there are times I just don't want to venture out of my front door. I often find it difficult to face a crowd, face all the noise, face all the things about having to be social with people.

It's not that I dislike people, it's more that I can easily become overwhelmed by crowds and the inherent energy they have. This is a reason I rarely go to concerts in arenas or stadiums. I usually find the whole experience overwhelming. In fact, I tend to avoid most events with large crowds.

The exception the exception to this is when I'm performing. In a strange sort of way, performing is my element. And most importantly, I'm in control of my little space. When I'm up there, there is only me. There could be a million people out there, but I am alone. I rarely look at the audience, mainly because I am concentrating on what I'm doing in my own world.

Atlas shrugged, but went to the gig anyway…

Sometimes it's so hard to even get me out the door and on the way to a gig. Just ask my wife, she knows. But once I'm there, I'm there 120%. 

This my temple.
This is my church.
This is my communion.
This is what and who I am.

As an artist, it's this sense of the spiritual, the transcending, that ultimately allows me to face the world. 

As a side note, I usually do 10-12 gigs a month, so when I'm home, I just don't have the energy to come to your show on a day off. As much as I'd love to see many of my friends perform, I need to save my time and energy for my own sessions.

Art is my spiritual practice.

~ MB

Art for Art's Sake



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2 Years On - Life In A Sort of Post Covid World

Everything changes, nothing remains without change

The End Is Only A Beginning