Are You Ever Good Enough?

Are you ever good enough? Does doing your best in any situation really mean anything? These are important questions we artists often ask ourselves.

I think it's important to acknowledge these questions, but also to distance ourselves from them in order to look at them objectively. It's all too easy to get caught up in emotions when applying these to ourselves.

Good enough is such a subjective idea. Good enough for who or what? I feel that it is important to realize that we can only do the best we can at any given point in time. Today's best may be different than yesterday's. Things are fluid. We all have good days and bad days. The important thing is to stick with your practice. Stay on the path. If you have rituals that you do, keep doing them. If you meditate, keep meditating. If you run or work out, keep running or working out. Keep following your path.

Self Realization

You need to realize that every moment of your life is different from every other one. To try and compare, or measure up to past moments, is chasing your own tail. There is only ever the present. You can only ever be the best you can at each given moment. Right now I am the best writer I can be at this moment. What I did in the past, or what I will do in the future, has little bearing on what I am doing now. I am the best that I am right now.

Too often we live in the past: “If only I could play like I did on my last gig.” Or we look to the future: “When I practice some more I'll be even better.” There is only now. Don't miss it by spending your thoughts in the past or future. 

Be present. 

Enjoy what you are doing in the now.

~ MB



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2 Years On - Life In A Sort of Post Covid World

Everything changes, nothing remains without change

The Spiritual Practice of Mono-tasking