Exploring the Idea of Reception

Reception. The act of receiving. For many of us artists it's a difficult concept to open up to. We usually expect everything we do to come from us. But the truth is, most ideas and inspiration have a genesis somewhere outside of us.

'No Man is an Island'
No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as any manner of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
MEDITATION XVII 
Devotions upon Emergent Occasions
John Donne

We are not islands. We are not creatures who are totally cut off from the rest of the world. If we were, we would have few, if any, ideas over our lifetimes. The fact that we are creative artists is owed to the flow of external ideas and knowledge that we experience everyday. This blog, and my other 2, are inspired by ideas I find in my life. 

These ideas can come from anywhere, as I work to remain open to other ideas outside of myself. I'm always observing, watching, listening. I take notes of things, events, thoughts, ideas, and file them away for future use. I never know what will trigger an idea, so I remain as open as possible to outside stimuli. 

Practice being open. Practice paying attention to the things around you. Sometimes it's the smallest voice that has the most to say to you. Hear it. Follow it. Learn from it. Make being open a part of your daily practice.

~ MB

The Way is Through Practice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2 Years On - Life In A Sort of Post Covid World

Everything changes, nothing remains without change

The End Is Only A Beginning